Christ Church is blessed with a remarkable music program. Our congregation and priest sing with strength and enthusiasm. Our worship is gloriously accompanied by the Balshfiled Memorial pipe organ, a Dutch Flentrop instrument installed in 1964. We include traditional worship songs of the Episcopal Church from the Hymnal, and sometimes gospel or contemporary songs from Lift Every Voice and Sing. The 10:30 Sunday Eucharist typically includes a chanted Psalm, and a sung Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei.
Christ Church Choir is directed by our Minister of Music, David Kazimir. Our choir combines the voices of dedicated members of the congregation and a number of Oberlin college students, including some from the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. Anthem selections come from the breadth of 400 years of the Anglican/Episcopal music tradition, ranging from Bach and Palestrina to contemporary compositions.
Additional occasions of music worship have included joining with other congregations for Evensong service, Easter vigil, and full sung Latin masses. The full sung Latin masses include Haydn’s Little Organ Mass and Vivaldi’s Gloria. For these events, the choir is joined by additional instrumentalists and soloists, primarily students from the Oberlin Conservatory of Music.
Vivaldi’s Gloria RV 589
Recorded on May 6, 2012 by the Choir of Christ Episcopal Church, Oberlin, Ohio under the direction of Katherine Plank on the fifth Sunday of Easter. Katherine Skayhan, soprano 1; Madeline Raube, soprano 2; Hannah Hagerty, mezzo soprano; Jacob Flaschen, trumpet; Timothy Daniels, oboe, Holly Jenkins, violin 1; Fr. Brian K. Wilbert, violin 2; Lauren Spaulding, viola; Nikita Annenkov, cello, Aidan Plank, bass; Robin Jenkins, organ
- I. Gloria in excelsis deo
- II. Et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis
- III. Laudamus te, benedicimus te, adoramus te, glorificamus te
- IV. Gratias agimus tibi and V. propter magnam gloriam tuam
- VI. Domine Deus, Rex coelestis, Deus Pater omnipotens
- VII. Domine Fili unigenite, Jesu Christe
- VIII. Domine Deus, Agnus Dei, Filius Patris
- IX. Qui tollis peccata mund and X. Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris
- XI. Quoniam tu solus Sanctus and XII. Cum Sancto Spiritu
2011 Christmas Eve Midnight Mass
- The Christ Church Choir performed Michael Praetorius’s “Now We Sing” and “He is Born, the Divine Child “
- Our Christmas Eve string quartet joined with the congregation on “All my heart this night rejoices” by Ebeling
- “Tomorrow shall be my dancing day” was part of the string quartet’s prelude
- Our string quartet also played a Sussex Carol and “Good Christian Friends Rejoice”